USA Football Month will be promoted and celebrated by the San Diego Chargers at this weekend’s game against the Dallas Cowboys at Qualcomm Stadium, just as youth football leagues across San Diego County return to play.
For the fourth consecutive year, the Chargers and the NFL recognize USA Football as the sport’s expert in youth player development and coaching education, highlighted this year by the launch of Heads Up Football, which emphasizes a smarter and safer way to play and teach youth football, including proper tackling and taking the head out of the game. Heads Up Football information, including how to teach proper tackling skills to youth players, is available at no cost at usafootball.com.
The Chargers’ celebration of USA Football Month includes the following:
- More than 2,000 game tickets were distributed to youth football teams across San Diego and Imperial counties
- There will be sideline banners, field markings, and articles in Game Day Magazine and Tailgate Times
- Four teams from the American Youth Football Conference will scrimmage pre-game: Skyline Tigers vs. Eastlake Panthers in the Mighty Mite Division and Del Norte Nighthawks vs. Chula Vista Crusaders in the Jr. Pee Wee Division
- The youth players will line up with the Chargers players for the national anthem
- Youth football cheerleaders will line up behind the Chargers Girls for introductions
- One representative from each youth football team will serve as honorary captain for coin toss
- The Chargers will present a check for $2,500 to AYF pre-game in honor of their volunteers’ dedication
For the complete USA Football press release, go HERE.